• Ohio State defeats Notre Dame 44-28 in the Fiesta Bowl.
• Browns owner Jimmy Haslam fires coach Mike Pettine, GM Ray Farmer after 3-13 season then hires former New York Mets executive Paul DePodesta to be team’s new chief strategy officer, promotes Sashi Brown to executive vice president of football operations and hires coach Hue Jackson.
• Cavaliers fire coach David Blatt and replace him with assistant Tyronn Lue.
• The Browns commission a statue of legendary running back Jim Brown.
• The Browns cut controversial quarterback Johnny Manziel and sign free-agent Robert Griffin III.
• Wadsworth girls basketball team defeats Mason 60-51 to win the Division I state title.
• The Browns trade the second overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Philadelphia Eagles and select Baylor wide receiver Corey Coleman with 15th overall pick in first round after twice trading down.
• The Cavaliers make a record 25 3-pointers in a 123-98 victory over the Atlanta Hawks in a second-round playoff series and advance to the NBA Finals for the second consecutive year with a 113-87 win over the Toronto Raptors in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals.
• The Cavaliers become the first team in NBA history to overcome a 3-1 Finals deficit, defeating the Golden State Warriors 93-89 in Game 7 in Oakland to win Cleveland’s first championship in 52 years. LeBron James, who had only the third triple-double in a Game 7 in NBA Finals history, was the Finals MVP and led all players on both teams in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals in the series.
• More than 1 million fans pack Cleveland’s downtown for a championship parade for the Cavaliers and Akron changes the name of South Main Street from Market to Exchange to “King James Way” in honor of the city’s hometown hero.
• The Indians defeat the Toronto Blue Jays in 19 innings to extend their winning streak to a team-record 14 games and acquire elite relief pitcher Andrew Miller, sending top prospect Clint Frazier to the Yankees in the deal.
• Dustin Johnson rallies from 3 shots behind to win the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club.
• The RubberDucks host the Eastern League All-Star Game.
• Poor field conditions force the NFL to cancel the Hall of Fame Game in Canton.
• LeBron James signs three-year, $100 million contract with Cavs.
• Former UA standout Clayton Murphy wins bronze medal in 800-meter run at Olympic Games.
• Browns lose opener to Carson Wentz-led Philadelphia Eagles 29-10 and quarterback Robert Griffin suffers broken bone in shoulder.
• Indians lose pitcher Danny Salazar with a sore shoulder and Carlos Carrasco with a broken hand and still clinch Central Division title with 7-4 win over Detroit Tigers.
• RubberDucks win Eastern League title with three-game sweep of Trenton Thunder.
• Wide receiver Josh Gordon returns to rehab, likely ending career with Browns.
• Free agent J.R. Smith signs four-year deal to stay with Cavs.
• Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer gets 10 stitches after cutting his finger while working on his drone and rookie pitcher Ryan Merritt helps Indians defeat Blue Jays in American League Championship Series to reach World Series.
• Penn State upsets Ohio State 24-21 on blocked field goal returned for touchdown.
• Cavaliers raise championship banner and defeat New York Knicks in opener.
• Indians erase three-run deficit but lose 8-7 to Cubs in 10 innings in Game 7 of World Series.
• Indians manager Terry Francona signs two-year contract extension and is named American League Manager of the Year.
• Walsh Jesuit girls soccer team wins fifth consecutive state title, 10th overall.
• UA soccer team wins Mid-American Conference Tournament, earns bid to NCAA Tournament.
• Ohio State beats rival Michigan 30-27 in double overtime to stake claim to berth in College Football Playoffs.
• Archbishop Hoban wins second consecutive Division III state football title with 30-0 win over Trotwood-Madison.
• Ohio State earns berth in College Football Playoffs.
• Browns lose franchise-record-tying 14th game and franchise-record 17th in a row overall.
• Browns defeat San Diego Chargers 20-17 for first win of season.